Re: [Phys-L] A JD example: Re: [SCAAPT] Physics Colloquium: 11:15AM, Oct. 20, 2014 in PH2-110

Hmm.... This is hardly physics, so I should suppose that I should let this go, but a search from the CDC has this data for 2011.

From http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/basics/index.html

In 2011, there were about 49,000 new diagnoses of HIV. Of those, about two-thirds were from male-to-male sexual contact. About a quarter, though, were from heterosexual contact.

Zeke

________________________________
From: Bill Norwood <bnorwood111@gmail.com>
To: Phys-L@phys-l.org
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] A JD example: Re: [SCAAPT] Physics Colloquium: 11:15AM, Oct. 20, 2014 in PH2-110

Nonsense. See Michael Fumento:s, The Myth of Heterosexual AIDS, or at least
reviews of the book on Amazon.com

Bill Norwood
On Oct 15, 2014 4:23 PM, "Bernard Cleyet" <bernard@cleyet.org> wrote:

On 2014, Oct 15, , at 00:57, Andreas Bill <Andreas.Bill@csulb.edu> wrote:

PHYSICS COLLOQUIUM
California State University Long Beach

Monday, October 20, 2014
11:15 am, PH2-110

(Refreshments served at 10:45am in HSCI-224)

Theoretical Approaches towards HIV Vaccine Designs and Prevention Efforts

Ha Youn Lee
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California

Controlling and eradicating an unprecedented HIV/AIDS pandemic will
require a better surveillance tool and improved vaccine design. Here we
demonstrate how mathematical and computational tools originating from
statistical physics can be used to advance HIV research. An effective HIV
vaccine must contain antigens that recognize as many HIV peptides as
possible, and the surface morphology of peptide-MHC (pMHC) complexes is one
of the key factors controlling immune response breadth. Our design for
predicting pMHC surface morphology assembles homology-based models and
all-atom molecular dynamics simulations. Once a functional HIV vaccine is
implemented, monitoring HIV incidence, the number of newly infected people,
is necessary to evaluate its efficacy.

Our lab has focused on developing HIV genomic incidence assays utilizing
signatures embedded in an individual?s HIV sequence population and
quantifying the amount of evolution as a fingerprint of infection duration.
Furthermore, mathematical modeling has allowed us to extend our accuracy in
determining infection duration for recently infected individuals. Taken
together, analytical approaches are becoming indispensable components to
medical research

Colloquium:
Monday, 11:15am, PH2-110
(unless specified otherwise)