Re: [Phys-L] Fun in learning Was: The Make-Believe World of Real-World Physics

On 2013, Jul 12, , at 07:02, "Dan L. MacIsaac" <danmacisaac@gmail.com> wrote:

While I also like to do fun things, and my students and I do MANY fun things in
class; I think it's also important that students experience and learn to work through
challenges and frustration, as part of preparing them to be successful in life.
At first, with a lot of support then tapering support off.
I think we do our students a disservice if we avoid frustrating them at times.

My analogy would be working out at the gym -- you can't be serious without hard
work and effort, and there is a "burn" when you tire your muscles. Similarly I think
there is a "burn" when you are changing your brain while learning physics.
Changing your brain hurts and is tiring, though when you "get it" clearly you get
a dopamine reward (as well as the joy of insight).

My question would be more generally -- what roles do student frustration and
struggle play with learning physics? And how can we appropriately foster
and support appropriate levels of student frustration?

Dan M

PS -- for the record, I'm not anti-fun.

Mmm, I usta think that learning patience was important. The Michel-Cavendish was I thought useful to teach this in addition to the physics. No? Now it's digitized -- so many labs are now digitized -- are the techniques important other than programing, etc.??

bc embarrassed when he video taped the red spot on the two meter stick and played back on a vcr that included an accurate comparatively high res. clock to "collect" the data.

p.s. old timer who used a K2 pot and ballistic galvo. inter alia.