Re: [Phys-L] [SPAM] Re: The Make-Believe World of Real-World Physics

To me, fun means fun! My kids can do more "serious" physics in college.

Doing demos and labs -- rolling cars down tracks, dropping balls, shooting
dart guns, hitting softballs, riding skateboards, spinning stoppers,
investigating charged balloons, etc. These are the many fun days in my
classes, and what I have been talking about. Fun!

I also have those "aha" moments in class when kids "get it." Still,
physics (especially concepts) is challenging for most of my students, even
the brightest ones.

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:
Ludwik wrote,

... "What is "Fun" in this context anyway?"
I would replace the word "fun" by "pleasure." Learning should
generate pleasure, like when climbing a mountain.

As I wrote previously, I agree with Ludwik. Further, I should have added
that I believe that learning Physics does have something in common with
hearing a joke.
At the end there is a real pleasure from being able to honestly say "I
get it!"
I won't belabor the point, but I do think it important,
cheers,
David