Re: [Phys-L] Suggestions for audio speakers

old, failed to send (Can't from internet café.)

New after the old

On 2013, Mar 17, , at 22:27, Chuck Britton <britton@ncssm.edu> wrote:

On another 'Note' - use a single tiny (tinny) speaker to play music and then cup your hands around the speaker.
The increase in bass respond is VERY dramatic.
This is keeping the bass waves generated from the BACK of the cone from destructively interfering with those from the front.

A very simple demo that gets GREAT response from the crowd.

Or just hold a sheet of paper with a speaker-sized hole directly in front of the speaker.
(Amazing)

I add: sweep the frequency and vary the baffle size(not at the same time)

I've never read of a study of the effect of changing the cone angle of dynamic loud speakers. None, TIKO, except very small ones, have a zero angle. I think it has to do with the lack of rigidity of the cone. Of course, electrostatics are flat.

bc thinks students could make electrostatic speakers -- an engineering exercise.

p.s. I've never "gotten around to" removing the insulation from BaTiO caps. (many) to make a speaker.

-------------

An inventive guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_E._Kock

not given credit in several of these:

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/neon-lamp-traces-sound-waves-picture/

Much is in his book:

SOUND WAVES and LIGHT WAVES (The Fundamentals of Wave Motion)

Light being mostly microwaves, which is why I have the book.

AND most interesting is Kock's demonstration of anomalous dispersion using a meta dielectric (resonance at ~ 4 GHz)

Bell Sys. Tech. J. 27 p. 71

bc thinks: since R. Eisberg says "A wave is a wave is a wave.", one may show anomalous dispersion with longitudinal waves also.