Re: [Phys-L] Suggestions for audio speakers

A coupla notes for those with less money to devote to this -

On 03/11/2013 07:20 AM, Forinash III, Kyle wrote:
I ask students to raise their hands when they can't hear it anymore

I got better student data when I would start 'High' (20 kHz) and come down,
asking students to raise their hand when they DO begin to hear the whine.
(Have then put their heads down - not looking - so they are not influenced by their peers.

On another 'Note' - use a single tiny (tinny) speaker to play music and then cup your hands around the speaker.
The increase in bass respond is VERY dramatic.
This is keeping the bass waves generated from the BACK of the cone from destructively interfering with those from the front.

A very simple demo that gets GREAT response from the crowd.

Or just hold a sheet of paper with a speaker-sized hole directly in front of the speaker.
(Amazing)