Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

I don't intend to resurrect this thread but a question was raised and never answered about the number of charter school closures and the reasons for closure.

I happened to hit upon a document that provides this information here <http://www.edreform.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/StateOfCharterSchools_CER_Dec2011-Web-1.pdf>. An appendix listing all the closed schools is here <http://www.edreform.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/StateOfCharterSchools_CER_Dec2011-Web-1.pdf>. The bottom line:

- Of the approximately 6,700 charter schools that have ever opened across the United States, 1,036 [~15%] have closed since 1992.
- An additional 131 schools (that are publicly known) are currently (2011) under review or "on watch" by various authorizers or agencies for current signs of academic, financial or oversight challenges that may result in their closure within the next 24 months if those issues are not rectified.
- Leading reasons for closures: Financial (42%), mismanagement (24%), academic (19%).

It seems that charter accountability is alive and well.