Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

From: phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org [phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org] on behalf of Marty Weiss [martweiss@comcast.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:28 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

So, you add back the ones who can't hack the discipline in the charter or private school... You seem to forget we HAVE to keep them. When was the last time you TAUGHT in a public school in the city? And, YES, you have to see it from the trenches to understand what goes on. It's so easy to observe from the safety of your university ivory tower.

[LaMontagne] (Sorry for the different format - doing this from home.)
The last time I taught High School was over 30 year ago. So I will concede that some things are different. I was teaching in Boston close to Harvard Square. Drugs were rampant. I used to reserve the last row in my physics classes for the kids that were too stoned to know where they were - let them sleep it off. When they got rowdy, a call to the assistant principal would end up with them being ejected and then suspended for a week or so.

Are you telling me that suspension is no longer an option? Kids in my daughters school a few years ago were routinely suspended - especially if weapons were involved - but maybe they can't do that where you live.

Bob at PC