Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

So, you would support vouchers for Madrassas where they espouse militant Islam, or fundamentalist schools where the earth is 6000 years old and gays are evil and women should bear twelve kids? If you truly believe in this then you are farther to the fringe than I ever imagined. Because with your sort of voucher system that is exactly what you will get.
On Jul 10, 2012, at 3:27 PM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

Marty - How did you know? That is EXACTLY the kind of school that I, and everyone else who advocates for vouchers, had in mind. Your ability to read my mind is astounding and well outside the 5 sigma threshold.

Bob at PC

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org [mailto:phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-
l.org] On Behalf Of Marty Weiss
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:44 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

Vouchers... you opened a different can of worms... vouchers as advocated
by our "illustrious" governor means that any parent who wishes can receive a
voucher to have their child attend ANY private school anywhere in the
state... This includes parochial schools (like mine where I teach now and have
been for 12 years after retirement) where the admissions policy is that you
have to follow the tenants of the particular sect within that religion. Our
policies are so strict that anyone who does not follow the religious standards
they set gets booted, not matter how badly or well they behave or how they
perform academically in the secular school. Kids can misbehave, throw
things, fight, or worse in our afternoon secular school, yet if they pray and
follow all the religious rules they stay... Kids who rebel against the religion are
booted even with 130 IQ and perfect SAT's. They booted one kid this year
for flirting with girls, and another kid was threatened with expulsion for going
on
FaceBook too often. Is this what you like... vouchers for this type of
school...??? Yet if you follow that policy that is what you get. Personally, I
don't care if we would bring in thousands in vouchers I do not want taxpayer
money to support this type of school.