Re: [Phys-l] lab safety rules +- time on task +- symbolism

On 2011, Sep 12, , at 09:55, David Marx wrote:

A system that gives the same raise to everyone is a
system that promotes laziness.

This is insulting. We are professionals.

In my whole experience at UCSC (13 + years) I knew only one person** who required the carrot and stick. Unfortunately, I was forced to hire him against my wish and at the 6 month review, I tried to have him denied security of employment. My sup. overruled me, so I got another one. (This was before it was determined the chair be the sup.) Just before the review I applied to the business office for an extension of the probationary period, thinking enuff faculty and the business office would discover what I knew. They refused. Too late I received a call from the business office granting it. They had had a kerfuffle with him. Not much later, the machine shop sup. asked me to allow him to interview any prospective hires of my staff. He (lazy and incompetent one) disappeared a few years later, and I hired PhD's for demo and lower div.

** among faculty and staff

bc

p.s. I did hear of a failure at a major U. (I'll keep it anonymous.) A very good teacher was granted tenure mainly on the basis of his teaching. Once tenured he stopped "producing". My informant said they were "burned".

More: One of the assists to self selection in public school is the low INITIAL pay. Those who don't do it for love drop out. Gate Keeper Seese in the 30 years and in two districts she taught knew of only one slacker. Both districts had (and have) majority English learners. The end pay is not too bad (then) earning at min. 30% more than mine, and retired twice. However, except for about 16 years, I've been marginally and unemployed.