Re: [Phys-l] lab safety rules +- time on task +- symbolism

At 11:55 AM -0500 9/12/11, David Marx wrote:

On the other hand, having merit-based raises encourages people to do things they otherwise may not do. People should be rewarded for their efforts. A system that gives the same raise to everyone is a system that promotes laziness. Really, I think it should be a combination of cost of living adjustments, deserved pay equity, and merit.

A major problem with the so-called "merit" pay system is that some of the things they otherwise may not do are hardly meritorious--kissing up to the person responsible for raises, not dissenting from policy when it would otherwise be appropriate, not trying to figure out new ways to teach that might not be popular with the upper echelons, not rocking the boat, and more of that sort.

Also, salaries in publicly supported schools are a matter of public record, so everyone will know who is getting the merit raises. This means that they can be a morale breaker as well, if the choices are not unanimously acceptable to the other faculty. In private businesses, salaries are not public, so the salaries will not be generally known and there will be less resentment if the raises are not fairly given (a goal which is hard to achieve under the best of circumstances).

There is, however, a better way. Colleges and universities have had a hierarchical system for a long time; it used to be four levels, but now is mostly three, and they do at least have a more or less objective way to hand out promotions--how much grant money you bring in. I don't particularly like that criterion, and it certainly isn't particularly good for education, but at least it is reasonably transparent.

The pre-college community is a different matter. For the most part they have one job title--teacher. And one can have that title for an entire 40-year career. JD and ME and others have eloquently shown how difficult it is to evaluate teaching skills, so that leaves little more than longevity as a guide for teacher salaries.

So I would propose adding several grades of "teacher." We'd need to come up with some good sounding names for these positions, but there would be promotions that could justify increased salaries, and merge that with longevity raises and you have essentially the same system as the military pay system. If promotions are done by a committee of peers (or nearly peers--that is, made up of people at least one grade higher than the teachers being considered for promotion), it would largely (but not completely) remove the promotion system from the morale-destroying favoritism that can so easily develop in a top-down promotion system.

I lived with the military system for 22 years and I found it to be the fairest system I have seen anywhere. Merit is rewarded with promotions (which can have some objective criteria attached to them--professional development, other classroom service, out of classroom service, in addition to skills as a teacher), and reliable, but not exceptional service earns longevity raises at certain intervals (in the military it's typically two years). It's not a perfect system, but if promotions include new duties (both in and out of the classroom) it will minimize the dissatisfactions with the occasional missed or unmerited promotion. And there probably is no perfect system. Details could vary from district to district, but I think this would help toward moving teaching into a more professional status.

As a teacher moves up the professional ladder they become less supervised and do more supervising, and become freer to innovate in their classroom and try new methods (presumably after suitable training). A sabbatical system should be included to permit teachers to pursue additional professional development, do research in their fields, or develop new curricula or courses.

The real issue here is not money, although a certain amount is necessary to support living without the necessity of getting a second or a summer job. It is professional respect. Pre-college teaching is not today considered a profession by the general public. Teachers are not respected by either the public or school administrators, and apparently not a certain category of politician. Until it becomes one in reality, we are going to continue to have the problems with our schools that we have today. While money isn't the a primary driver here, it does help to improve the professional standing of teachers. It is really time that we recognize teachers as professionals who can develop their own courses and curricula, evaluate their own students honestly and fairly and can motivate their students to do the best they are able. They need support to achieve these goals, but more than anything, they need respect. And that has to be built from both ends of the hierarchy.

Hugh

--

Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org