Re: [Phys-l] lab safety rules +- time on task +- symbolism

On 2011, Sep 12, , at 07:18, Edmiston, Mike wrote:

I don't particularly care for the present promotion, tenure, salary increment system that I find myself in, because it is mostly based on years of service as opposed to the value of my service. But I care much less, and even fear, a system in which some administrator bases these things on some sort of merit system. The systems in which administrators exercise some degree of judgment over promotions, tenure, salary are those very systems that permit cronyism, glass ceilings (especially sexism, but also racism and personality conflicts), age discrimination, etc.

This is why UPTE is totally opposed to merit systems, as explained to me by our president while we were bargaining. The reason I needed the explanation was I'd had reasonable supervisors (the chair), until .... I retired early instead of fighting him.

http://www.upte.org/

bc, sometimes a bit dim. and learned much as a member of the first bargaining team.