Re: [Phys-l] cooling hints

On 2011, Aug 24, , at 08:28, Roger Haar wrote:

Here at the U of Arizona, they take this a step further.
At night, when the outside temp has dropped and the electric
rate is lower, they make ice, lots of ice. The campus is
cooled during the day with this ice. They claim to save
lots of money.

Question: Does the temp. drop sufficiently so that initial cooling may be obtained by blowing in outside air (filtered of course).

Here in very comfy Salinas, I have fans that blow air in during the night and open the shades of our skylights. This cools the inside from a max of typically 25 C (second floor) to 18 C. (downstairs 22 and 16).

Also are not "swamp" (evaporative) coolers efficient in the Great American Desert? I couldn't stand the temperature in my cousin's house (Near Weber State U. Utah) one Summer while visiting with their fan motor out. I bought a new one installed it. What a difference! They hadn't bothered because accustomed to that climate.

bc