Re: [Phys-l] frizzi

At 9:19 PM -0500 8/21/11, Jack Uretsky wrote:

I'm not sure of what you find inconsistent, so let's analyze your
hypothetical: In an Illinois case the 7th circuit strikes down an Illinois
law maing smoking of beet roots illegal. Can Wisconsin (which is in the
7th circuit) pass a law similar to the one struck down in Illinois? Yes,
of course it can, and the Wisconsin Supreme Court could uphold the law if
it were challenged in state court. But, as a practical matter, the
challenge to the law would be made in a Wisconsin federal district court,
which would be obliged to follow 7th circuit law.

Thanks, Jack. That clarifies a lot. Now I think I know what you are talking about, and the apparent disconnect has gone away.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org