Re: [Phys-l] frizzi

At 12:22 AM -0500 8/20/11, Jack Uretsky wrote:

Not correct. Thre are areas of law where the Illinois Supreme Court has
explicitly refused to follow precedent set by the Federal Seventh Circuit
(which includes Illinois) Court of appeals, where Illinois was not a party
to the federal decision. That's the meaning of federalism!

I'm not sure I understand this. Does a state have to be a party to a case for the ruling to become a requirement? What if, say, a case brought in Wisconsin (assuming it is a member of the seventh district) about the death penalty (or abortion, or birth control, or the health insurance mandate, or any of a myriad of politically charged cases that are still under contest around the country) reaches the seventh circuit court on appeal, and further, to make it unambiguous, assume that Illinois does not enter the case in any fashion, even as an amicus. If the court decision is opposed to the death penalty, does not that precedent apply to Illinois? I know that the precedent doesn't apply outside the Seventh District (in fact, it is my understanding that the surest way to get your case to the SCOTUS is for there to be two similar cases with contradictory results in two different districts--especially if they are high-profile cases).

What if it goes on to the SCOTUS, and they uphold the seventh circuit, does it not then apply to Illinois?

Can you give an example of the type of case that the SCOI has refused to follow a precedent set by the Seventh Circuit?

I guess I can imagine some type of cases that might not apply outside the relevant jurisdiction of the original case--for example, if the decision came down on a particular provision of a states law or constitution that did not directly affect other states in the district, but wouldn't it apply if, for example it involved an issue of federal law, as interpreted by the states and the district court?

This is interesting because it is the first time I have ever heard this mentioned, and I have several friends and relatives who are lawyers and it has never come up in any of our conversations about the law.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org