From: "carmelo@pacific.net.sg" <carmelo@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Fri, Aug 19, 2011 2:29 am
Subject: [Phys-l] frizzi
To: "phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>

In year 3011, the "bumper sticker" woould be:

Science Ruled During the Internet Age.

Quoting chuck britton <cvbritton@mac.com>:

My favorite bumper sticker seen today -

Religion Ruled During the Dark Ages

.
At 12:30 AM -0500 8/19/11, John Clement wrote:
Sad, but almost true. One can be rational about some things and irrational
about others. Some people might recognize the quotes as to their reference
and still not think they are funny or true. Perry is quite good at making
himself appealing to certain segments in the society and as a result he has
been electable in TX. This is what one would call political smarts. But
that does not automatically confer science smarts. He seems to have
inhertied Reagan's ability to say absolutely untrue things and not have it
hurt him like "a special licesnse is required for a farmer to cross a public
road with his tractor", or the global warming comments.

So there are many who will see the point because they know a bit of history
and Italien, but still not agree. So they go around saying things like the
ice in Antarctica is thickening without checking the facts that show it is
actually thinning at the same rate as other glacial ice. They use anecdotes
as if they were conclusive evidence. But I would agree that probably the
majority of the people who understand the sayings also agree with the
sentiments.

I have seen too many otherwise intelligent people who simply are blinded by
their paradigms. And of course politicians play into that even when they
may not agree deep down. Even GW Bush eventually agreed that global warming
is real, even while he did not agree with evolution. The current crop of
politicians unfortunately are full of people who have absolute faith that
they are doing the work of God and are absolutely right. That is a very
dangerous paradigm.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Here are a couple of Italian sayings that I keep on hand,
in hopes of finding an occasion to use them.

To those who disbelieve the evidence of global warming:
"Eppur si scalda."

To those who disbelieve the evidence of evolution:
"Eppur si evolve."

Maybe I should make some bumper stickers.

==========================

I realize I'm not acting very grown-up. The grown-up thing
to do would be to come up with a line of reasoning that would
persuade people who don't already agree with me ... but alas
the people who will see the point of these witticisms are mostly
people who already know the right answer.

On the other hand, sometimes making your friends smile is a
worthwhile activity.

I was reminded of these sayings by Alexandra Petri, writing in
today's Gomorrah Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/post/rick-perry-gl
obal-warming-and-those-durn-> scientists/2011/08/17/gIQAccZoLJ_blog.html