Re: [Phys-l] Symbol for uncertainty

On 5/11/11 4:17 AM, John Denker wrote:
Therefore we say u is a functional of X and denote it u[X] ...
using square brackets to emphasize that it is a functional (not a mere
function). This is consistent with writing m[X] to represent the mean
of the distribution X.

OK, now I feel better about the u[X] notation for uncertainty. But it still strikes me as a little clumsy.

Another option is to write X as a subscript, i.e. m_X ± u_X.

Notationally very consistent, which is nice.

But suppose that in an elementary lab I hang a spring, and measure the elongation x that occurs when I hang a mass m1 (due to gravitational acceleration g). I then wish to predict the natural angular frequency when a different mass m2 hangs on the spring. All quantities have associated uncertainties. Is anyone really going to write the equation
m_omega = sqrt((m_m1*m_g)/(m_m2*m_x)) ?

I don't think so. The m[omega] version isn't any better. When forced to be explicit, I use the variable with an overbar for the distribution mean, but even that is too much overhead (ooo, a pun) to maintain long term.

Another option is simply to write A ± B and then explain that A is
the nominal value of the distribution X while B is the corresponding
uncertainty.

Nearly useless for teaching the mathematics of uncertainty propagation. You really need a notational system that preserves a reminder of the referenced quantity.

The one thing that is not a viable option is to use x as a shorthand
for the distribution X. I am quite aware that there are entire books
on the subject of "random variables" that use this notation, but it
is truly a terrible notation. It is just begging to be misunderstood.
It is doubly-especially unsuitable for use in an introductory course.

On the other hand, using capitalization to distinguish between the variable and the distribution is dead on arrival for physics. Do you suggest that multiple measurements of a pendulum period T be represented by t_1, t_2, t_3?

We have already claimed capitalization as a meaningful element in assigning algebraic symbols for physical quantities. Perhaps we can use adornment?
distribution of period measurements: T-tilde
measurements of period: T_1, T_2, T_3, ...
mean of the distribution: T
uncertainty of the distribution: u[T-tilde] or u_T-tilde or ...
Is there any pre-existing standard?
Do we need to notate the fact that in lab, we don't actually work with the distribution mean, but instead an estimate of the distribution mean?

Cheers,
-- James