Re: [Phys-l] data analysis : pendulum period versus length

On 05/12/2011 06:37 PM, Josh Gates wrote:
Also notice that in my data tabulated above, the scatter is
huge compared to the quantization error, so the details of
how the quantization was done don't matter. This is how it
should be.

That's a great point that I hadn't thought of. How about if we're
measuring a distance? There's not any scatter there, really - I
put down the ruler and get a measurement.

It depends on what you mean by "measurement":
a) If a "measurement" consists of a multiple repeated
observations, the set of observations (i.e. the "sample")
will have some mean and some standard deviation. The
sample-mean and sample-stdev are properties of the whole
set, not properties of any particular observation.
b) If a "measurement" is a single observation, then by the
time it gets written down it is just a number, with no
uncertainty.
c) OTOH if you have a single observation, you might
imagine, based on theory, including a lifetime of
experience with rulers, that this observation is
drawn from some imaginary ensemble, i.e. the set of
observations you /would/ have gotten if you had
repeated the observation. There is some uncertainty
associated with this theoretical / imaginary ensemble,
but as always, it is a property of the ensemble, not
a property of any single observation.

OK?

I estimate the last
fraction of a mm or fraction of an inch, so there's some
uncertainty in that measurement, right? Can I say that my
measurement is a distribution?

See above.

On the first observation, the
reading on the stopwatch was 1.235 and I am absolutely
certain about that.

I'm absolutely certain about that reading, but it represents a range of possible values, right?

There is a crucial distinction between what the reading "is"
and what it "represents". When it comes to numerals or
any other symbol, what it "is" is definite and cut-and-dried.
What it "represents" is much more indefinite, much more in
the eye of the beholder.

To quantify the range of possible values, you need a lot
more than one reading. You need an empirical ensemble of
actual readings, and/or some theory that says what the
theoretical ensemble of readings looks like.

This is one of the things that is pernicious about the
"random variable x" notation: It uses the same symbol
to represent both the reading and the ensemble from which
the reading was drawn.

In a somewhat similar way, this is one of the things that
is pernicious about the "significant figures" idea. It
uses a single numeral to represent both the reading and
the uncertainty of the ensemble from which the reading
was drawn.