[Phys-l] inversion goggles

You can buy/make inversion goggles (e.g., from Science Kit), which have a
right angle prism. Makes everything appear upside down. Kids are amazed!
Very hard to walk around wearing them. Anyone do this as a
demo/activity/discussion?

I heard years ago about research done with these goggles at some
psychology department in some university. Anybody know? I think people
wore the goggles for a few days (weeks?), and the brain adapted so that
things appeared upright through the goggles. Then the goggles were
removed, and things appeared inverted! Apparently, it took longer for the
brain to realize this and make things appear "normal" (upright) again.

Did research like this ever happen?

P.S. I'm still trying to figure out how our brain flips inverted images on
our retina so we see the world as upright. My eye doctor once told me that
this is initially not true for newborns -- that they literally see the
world inverted! Wow!

Any insights (no pun intended) people can share would be appreciated.
Thanks!