[Phys-l] Louis Paul Benezet and the 'Journal of Humanistic Mathematics'

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in discussion-list post "Louis Paul Benezet and the 'Journal of Humanistic Mathematics' " [Hake (2011)].

The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: Maria Droujkova of the NaturalMath list pointed to the "Journal of Humanistic Mathematics" (JHM).

According to the editors Mark Huber <http://bit.ly/jFFYGS> and Gizem Karaali <http://bit.ly/murQT2>: "[For us] the term *humanistic mathematics* means 'the human face of mathematics.' Thus our emphasis is on the aesthetic, cultural, historical, literary, pedagogical, philosophical, psychological, and sociological aspects as we look at mathematics as a human endeavor. More broadly, we aim to provide a forum for both academic and informal discussions about matters mathematical."

In 1991 JHM lived up to that ideal by reprinting the ground-breaking articles by Louis Paul Benezet (1935/36) "The Teaching of Arithmetic I, II, III: The Story of an Experiment" [Benezet (1935, 1936)]. Therein Louis Paul Benezet - see e.g. <http://bit.ly/926tiM> and <http://bit.ly/ifjAv9> - showed a way to make math education work: viz., abandon the mindless drill that goes with most formal instruction of mathematics in the lower grades in favor of his "new 3 R's": reading, reasoning, and reciting, where "reciting" meant "speaking the English language."

To access the complete 7 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/iZbn2b>.

Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com>
<http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>

"A society's competitive advantage will come, not from how well its schools teach the multiplication and periodic tables, but from how well they stimulate imagination and creativity."
-- Commonly attributed to Albert Einstein

REFERENCES [All URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 5 May 2011.]
Benezet, L.P. (1935, 1936). "The Teaching of Arithmetic I, II, III: The Story of an Experiment." Journal of the National Education Association 24(8): 241-244 (1935); 24(9): 301-303 (1935); 25(1): 7-8 (1936). The articles (a) were reprinted in the Humanistic Mathematics Newsletter 6: 2-14 (May 1991); (b) are on the web along with other Benezetia at the Benezet Centre <http://bit.ly/926tiM>.

Hake, R.R. 2011. "Louis Paul Benezet and the 'Journal of Humanistic Mathematics' " online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/iZbn2b>. Post of 5 May 2011 15:03:46 -0700 to AERA-L, NaturalMath, and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post were transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/khQHD5>.