[Phys-l] mirrors

I have some this plastic locker mirrors (with a magnet strip on the back).
I wish to remove some of the mirror backing so students can look through
the hole and, using another mirror, see a "hall of mirrors" effect.

Does anyone know a good way to remove part of the mirror surface without
scratching the plastic? I believe the backing is Mylar, but I'm not sure.
I can easily drill a hole for an opening, but wanted to keep the mirror
intact.

Also, what substance is used on glass mirrors -- aluminum or silver? I
figured aluminum since it is cheaper, but my chemistry colleague suggested
silver (which could be removed from glass mirrors with concentrated nitric
acid).