Re: [Phys-l] Writing a review or lab report

On 05/02/2011 08:53 AM, Dr. Richard Tarara wrote:
I the consider lab
report a totally artificial animal.

1) Agreed.

Maybe one could argue for lab
reports as training for writing papers--but in my mind, they are too
different for the lab report exercise to be useful.

2) Agreed.

Has anyone ever had to write a 'lab
report' outside of an undergraduate course?

3) Well, yes and no, depending on how literally we take the question.

3a) I reckon the question intended to ask about reports that resemble
the usual undergraduate lab report. I've never seen such a thing
in the real world.

3b) On the other hand, literally speaking, there is such a thing as
a real-world "lab report". Alas, it doesn't resemble the sort of
thing you normally see in school.

It helps if we distinguish "science" in general from "scientific
research" in particular. There is a lot of stuff that should be
scientific but is not research. In particular, consider a
scenario such as:
-- You send a sample of well-water off to a testing lab
to check for pollutants.
-- You send a blood sample off to a forensic lab to check
for a DNA match.
-- You send a blood sample off to a medical lab to check
for cholesterolemia or diabetes or whatever.
-- etc. etc. etc.

In such a scenario, you want the work to be done "scientifically"
but you do not want it to be research. That is, you want it to
be done using cut-and-dried methods. (This stands in contrast
to research, which involves innovation and a certain amount of
risk-taking.)

In such a scenario, the lab sends you back a "lab report". It
does not resemble the usual(*) undergraduate lab report. It
does not involve any "creative writing" skills, or much in the
way of writing skills at all; it is mostly just "fill in the
blank".

(*) Actually I have seen undergraduate "lab report" assignments
that were of the "fill in the blank" variety. These are arguably
true-to-life, but OTOH don't do much to teach writing skills or
analytical thinking skills.

And don't get me started about "powerpoint" presentations.
These are ubiquitous in the real world, but are a very
bad idea, as Tufte and others have pointed out..........

I reckon the usual undergraduate lab-report is some sort of
weird chimera: part real-world lab report, part watered-down
research paper, and part creative-writing essay (along the lines
of "how I spent my summer vacation").

It's also a moving target. We expect a college senior lab
project to be a lot more like a real research project, but a
college freshman lab project not so much. And then there is
the high-school "science fair" project.

=============

Having said all that, the "lab report" is not a bad thing.
Yes, it is artificial. Yes, it is a weird chimera. But
some of that weirdness is necessary for pedagogical reasons.
We can't expect students to write professional-grade research
papers on the first try.

My recommendation is to treat the "lab report" as a watered
down research paper. (FWIW I think of the traditional
"science fair" poster in mostly the same terms, i.e. as
a watered-down research paper.)

As for active voice versus passive voice: Either is acceptable.
Neither is more "traditional" than the other, since both have
been used in the scientific literature since Day One.
-- As a reviewer or grader, I would never upgrade or downgrade
a manuscript on the basis of active voice versus passive voice
(although I might have something to say if it switches back
and forth too much).
-- As an author, I have a strong preference, but that is between
me and my co-authors.