Re: [Phys-l] cars and physics

Not exactly what you wanted, but I saw that all the Major US makers went 12 volt within a year or two of 1954
Usually from no ballast 6 volt coils, to 12 volts coils, often with ballasts.
But Volkswagen hung in with 6 volts. They were making detail improvements year on year, until finally they got the message on their immensely popular bug.
Finally, it went from a 6 volt 180 watt generator, to a 360 watt 12 volt generator.
Dangerous to generalize from just one case - but I can see VW added more power from the same wires....

Brian W