Re: [Phys-l] cars and physics

On 2/23/2011 1:07 PM, Edmiston, Mike wrote:
/snip/ It seems to me the 12-volt battery would cost more than the 6-volt battery even if it didn't use much more material /snip/
Michael D. Edmiston, PhD.
This looked like a straight forward technical or commercial question that might be answered readily by interrogating the price of comparable batteries in the market.

I was surprised and disappointed to find that comparing a 6 and 12 volt battery of equal stored energy and construction type, was not to be established by my headlong search among suppliers. For the average car battery, people want $70 to $90. And that's not saying much.

I think that a reasonable figure of merit would comprise these factors:
volts X amp.hours X weight / cost.

That's something that could be evaluated at a supplier's shop with a bathroom scales, I suppose. A sample value would be 350 watt.hour.lbs per dollar in that fine American customary unit mix. :-)

Brian W