From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of brian whatcott
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:51 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] cars and physics

On 2/23/2011 1:07 PM, Edmiston, Mike wrote:
/snip/ It seems to me the 12-volt battery would cost more than the 6-volt battery even if it didn't use much more material /snip/
Michael D. Edmiston, PhD.
This looked like a straight forward technical or commercial question
that might be answered readily by interrogating the price of comparable
batteries in the market.

I was surprised and disappointed to find that comparing a 6 and 12 volt
battery of equal stored energy and construction type, was not to be
established by my headlong search among suppliers. For the average
car battery, people want $70 to $90. And that's not saying much.

I think that a reasonable figure of merit would comprise these factors:
volts X amp.hours X weight / cost.

That's something that could be evaluated at a supplier's shop with a
bathroom scales, I suppose. A sample value would be 350 watt.hour.lbs
per dollar in that fine American customary unit mix. :-)

Brian W