Re: [Phys-l] a car physics problem

I live only 30 minutes from Kingda Ka in Jackson, New Jersey. I believe it
is now the second tallest, fastest coaster in the world (recently
surpassed by one in Japan I believe). Incredible acceleration (0 - 128 mph
in 3.5 sec), but not worth the usual 2+ hour wait. The ride (still) has
technical problems, and is often closed when we go on Physics Day. El Toro
is much better! :)

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
For those people looking to approximate the feel of drag racing, there
are two roller coasters that give you a similar acceleration.

Last summer I rode "Top Thrill Dragster" at Cedar Point in Ohio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Thrill_Dragster; "Kingda Ka" is in New
Jersey. These rides hit ~120 mph in about 3 seconds on a flat track.
They then climb vertically about 400 ft to lose KE, crest the peak and
dive vertically downward again. The whole ride takes about 20 seconds.

I will say I am impressed that someone can maintain enough concentration
and coordination to steer a car at those accelerations. And these rides
are considerably less acceleration than a true dragster!

There are lots of youtube videos available, like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRT0y8UAhd4&feature=related

Tim F