Re: [Phys-l] techshop opportunity

The arxiv article is very interesting; thanks.

If you want mechanical, only the instructions (drwngs, etc.) for the slave of the Short are in the second V. of Amateur Telescope Making (1980; more recent skip thhis, as replaced by quartz clocks). I think Bryan evne sells the casting. I suggested electromechanical, as making the remontoire, wheels, etc. requires CNC stuff and would be a year long job, at least for bc. But making just a pendulum would require the machine shop, and not be very time consuming. For chaotic pendulua, etc. I suggest "The Pendulum" Baker and Blackburn. wherein they describe a forced damped and compare data collected w/ a numerical simulation for its eq. of motion. Curiously not in the bibliography, but there is an AJP article by them on the inverted pendulum, plus a number of articles in the International J. of Bifurcation and Chaos. Check out also Chaotic dynamics (same Baker and Gollub).

When I was at UCSC the chaos group played w/ a Strut pendulum (invertted and driven by a speaker. Not much machining there tho.)

bc has only one old clock. (Blanc purchased by grandpa Pierre Cleyet)

p.s. you have seen my compound pendulum constructed to obtain viscous damping?

http://www.cleyet.org/images/img_6299+Pendulum%20dissipation/Pendulum%20Dissipation.mov