[Phys-l] techshop opportunity

I recently picked up a groupon (http://www.groupon.com) for my local Techshop (http://www.techshop.ws/).

My question is: if you had access to such a facility, what would you, as either an educator, hobbyist, career-changer, inventor, or whatever you are, make? Would it be some cool physics demo items? That rail-gun-in-the-garage your inner child always wanted to build? An engineering prototype of the next greatest idea?

I'm obviously going to get experience learning to use manufacturing machines I don't have ordinary access to. I'd like to combine this with something that will necessitate learning additional physics of the real-world variety. That is, I don't want to do something like make an aluminum spice rack or a really really stable kitchen table :-)

I'm looking for ideas. In this regard, I'm open-ended. I don't want to just learn how to manufacture something - I want to make something that requires some engineering or physics thought to go into it; I'll learn twice as much. Maybe critical components for a desktop home-made electron microscope? An engine of some sort? The rail gun, after all? I have to use the groupon by mid-May, so I have time to plan as well as take my time manufacturing.

Thanks in advance for your collective thoughts!

Stefan Jeglinski