Re: [Phys-l] techshop opportunity

No specific ideas for you to try - but a general suggestion for approaching the 'TechShop' thing.
The sooner you visit the 'Shop', the sooner you'll start picking up the good ideas that float around there.
Look over the facility.
Decide whether you are more of a 'woodshop' person or a potential metalworker.

A lot of cool physics stuff can be made of wood and you'd have access to the safest tablesaw you'll ever see (stop the blade with your finger without drawing blood! but it'll cost you $80 to replace the blade and the aluminum block that stopped it.). Planer'/joiner, mitersaw, bandsaws, sanders, and now a wood lathe as well. The ShopBot is essentially a cnc controlled router with a 5' x 10' bed and 6" of z axis travel.

If metal working sounds more interesting I'd suggest taking the basic lath and mill classes for starters.

The Epilog lasercutter is neat but certainly looks a bit puny when you compare it with the cnc plasma cutter.

Seriously, stop by, take the tour, talk to the staff and members. Some VERY creative juices are flowing there.

A former student of mine is on the staff there and I have learned WAY more from him that he ever learned from ME ! ! ! !

Another former students presents a great intro to the Arduino microprocessor and its interfacing abilities.