Re: [Phys-l] techshop opportunity

A long period pendulum clock, w/electromagnetic escapement.
Here's a short period one:
http://www.bmumford.com/clocks/em2/index.html

Interesting. I used to collect clocks, and still have 7 French mantles, 2 American mantles, and 2 German grandfathers. All 80-180y old. Think I'm more fascinated with well-built mechanical clocks than accurate electronic-driven clocks, Mumford's notwithstanding.

I think of more interest to me would be the manufacture of an interesting/unusual/non-tiny pendulum *structure* that exhibits unusual (to the lay person anyway) properties, eg, very long period, or a mix of chaotic/nonchaotic behavior (inspired by the magnet-driven executive desktop toy, or in a different vein, [1]). I do have a large high spacious entryway that does nothing but convect heated air up to warm the 2nd-floor ceiling :-)

[1] http://arxiv.org/abs/0902.1829

Stefan Jeglinski