Re: [Phys-l] H. Sapiens

At 22:14 -0400 09/22/2010, chuck britton wrote:

Nuclear Winter could be a way to reverse the current Global Warming.
A single nuclear blast could reproduce the Krakatoa volcano's cooling effect.
Giving us enough time to remove CO2 from the atm and sequester it
under seas etc.

I wonder. Russia's "Tsar Bomba" test (59 MT--the largest on record) while it sent its radioactive cloud around the earth several times didn't have the climate effect that happened after Krakatoa, or some other very large eruptions. That might have been because it was conducted near or above the arctic circle. But the US "Bravo" test--the second largest at 15 MT) was conducted in the tropics and it also had no noticeable effect on climate, although several hundred Marshall Islanders received large radiation doses from the fallout (undoubtedly leading to a significant number of deaths, though never admitted to by the US gov't) and one death to a crewman of the Lucky Dragon.

I suspect that it would require a significant exchange (one the order of 20 weapons or more) resulting in substantial damage to flammable regions in order to create the climate effects comparable to Krakatoa.

Present idea about CO2 removal from the atmosphere are in their infancy, and all so far are projected to take decades to be effective, if ever, once deployed. Frankly I don't think I'm interested in trading the 10-20 million lives and extensive destruction of a significant nuclear exchange for the possibility that we would be able to use that time to remove several billion tons of CO2 from the atmosphere, and put it into the ocean where the resulting carbonic acid could reduce the pH of the oceans to the point that most, if not all, marine life could be extinguished.

I much prefer Art Rosenfeld's "white roof'" idea coupled with transportation electrification and eliminating coal as an electricity source. Not only would painting all roofs worldwide drastically reduce the building energy use, it would also change the earth's albedo by enough to stop the warning trend pretty much in its tracks.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org