Re: [Phys-l] analogies

Comments below.

Bill

On Nov 26, 2010, at 9:06 PM, John Denker wrote:

Sometimes I can't tell where sarcasm ends and plain old nonsense
begins.

Sarcasm doesn't work if it isn't rooted in the truth. I fail to see the direct line between sarcasm and nonsense.

=====

It would be the height of folly to uncritically reject all
analogies ... or to uncritically accept all analogies.

Absolutely.

The point is that some analogies are very much better than
others. Some analogies are very useful for some purposes ...
while other analogies are worse than useless. Ascertaining
which is which requires judgment and skill.

Absolutely.

Yes, all analogies are imperfect. The point is, we should
neither over-react nor under-react to the imperfections.

Yes. We should not over-react, such as rejecting a simulation because people are moving with their feet and thinking they cannot separate this from the lesson involved in the analogy.

If we accept one analogy (despite its imperfections) that
does not oblige us to accept every other analogy that comes
along. Conversely, if we reject one analogy (because of its
imperfections) that does not oblige us to reject every other
analogy that comes along.

Absolutely.

Finding analogies is easy. Finding analogies that are actually
helpful is much harder.

My main point. Because the search for helpful analogies is difficult does not mean the search is useless.

=====

I know all this sounds obvious. I take some comfort in the
maxim that having a keen grasp of the obvious is better than
fumbling the obvious.

Assuming that others are fumbling the obvious, simply because they are searching for an analogy or simulation, would be a mistake.