Re: [Phys-l] question about Bernoulli

On 11/23/2010 06:31 PM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
However, these arguments unfortunately all boil down to "the
pressure is lower because it has to be".

That is an utter travesty of what has been said.

It would be more fair to say that if the fluid did not speed up,
there would be a host of consequences. It is easy to observe
that these consequences do not occur. It is also easy to rule
them out on firm theoretical grounds. I'm talking about consequences
such as unbounded accumulation of fluid somewhere in the pipe.

Similarly, if the pressure did not decrease there would be a host
of consequences. It is easy to observe that these consequences
do not occur. It is also easy to rule them out on firm theoretical
grounds. I'm talking about consequences such as gross violations of
the conservation of momentum.

I remark that you could travesty the other laws of physics in the
same way: You could complain that F = ma "because" F has to equal ma.
But why would you want to?