Re: [Phys-l] question about Bernoulli

If we choose an axis, say z, parallel to the two pipes of different diameter, then constant E definitely shows that an increased vz must be accompanied by a decreased vx and vy leading to lower pressure along the walls of the pipes. But to make this package complete, the question becomes why the collisions would favor an enhanced v2z in the smaller pipe? The molecules are not aware they have entered a region of smaller cross sectional area.

Bob at PC

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 11:22 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] question about Bernoulli

and by what mechanism was it reduced?

Particle/particle collisions.

Each collision can be visualized in terms of points on a sphere
in six-dimensional phase space. Ignoring the mass for simplicity,
we have:
v1x^2 + v1y^2 + v1z^2 + v2x^2 + v2y^2 + v2z^2 = E = constant

Each collision will cause the system to random-walk on the
sphere. If every collision were one-dimensional (i.e. zero
impact parameter) we would not have a random walk, but since
the impact parameters are random we do. The energy will soon
be distributed over all the accessible states.