Re: [Phys-l] Anti-vandalism in restrooms

I have no solution for vandalism, but I do want to relate a funny story of something a colleague and I did in the high school where I worked before I retired. The boys' room down the hall from our office was often vandalized, even to the extent of blocking up the toilets so they overflowed. The science office was about 50 feet away, so every time someone did that the water seeped into our office and ruined the carpet in the hall. One day my colleague and I got hold of the official book stamp which had the name of the school, the signature of the principal, and an official looking statement that said *this is property of the XXX school district*. We typed up on school letter-head paper a notice which read: "A virulent bacteria causing severe hives and rash has been detected in this rest-room. The room is now closed until further notice." We stamped the note with the book stamp (which, if you didn't look close enough, looked like an official stamp from some administrative department or other rather than a book stamp) and signed the notice "Board of Health, Dr. E Coli" .
There was no more vandalism in that boys' room. (Of course, no one used it either.)
Well, that went on for about two weeks. Finally, the principal came to our office and while trying to look angry, with a twinkle in his eye, said, " I know Weiss and Jones (my colleague) had something to do with this." We sheepishly said, "Well, yes." He had a hard time keeping from laughing and said, "I have to take your Board of Health sign down but nice try."
Guess what...? the next week the office was flooded again!

So, as for your vandalism problem... I'm afraid there is no real solution except to keep one step ahead of the kids who draw or carve "Wendy is a nice girl" into the walls (It says something else, but this is a family/ public discussion group, after all). No matter what you do they will always find a way around it. Consider it a challenge; keep trying new ways to combat the mess; it's something to make the weeks go by quickly.

Unless you have bathroom monitors sitting outside taking names you will never catch those responsible. Bathroom monitors with sign-in sheets right outside of every bathroom eventually cut down on the vandalism, but didn't stop it entirely. The problem with that was that most teachers considered this a duty to be avoided. Most of us did our job and used the time to grade papers or confer with other students. Problem was, we couldn't leave the desk except to use the lavatory we were stationed at. If we needed some paper or a book we had to flag down someone passing by to get it for us. Anyone who walked away for even a few seconds to get something was reprimanded by administrators. And, to add insult to injury, they took away our planning period for several years to have us do bathroom duty. (Other duties were lunchroom monitor... prevent food fights and regular fist fights; hall monitors at each corner of the building's three floor; study hall (for several years until they did away with study hall); and a.v./ copier tech. duty, which I choose due to my seniority.

Marty