Re: [Phys-l] definitions ... purely operational, or not

Quoting Hugh Haskell <haskellh@verizon.net>:

That has not been my experience. I taught weight as the reading on
the bathroom scale for several years and students seemed to get that
without too much trouble. What they see fairly quickly is that "most
of the time" what the bathroom scale reads is equal to, or very close
to mg, but definitely not always, and in fact its common for that not
to be so. When we would do the accelerating elevator experiment they
understood quite well that their weight changed when the elevator
accelerated, and that in that condition, although mg was still a
force on them, there were other forces that made the scale reading
different from mg.

Weight as the reading on the bathroom scale may not be appealing when it is applied on an object partially submerged. The object becomes "weightless" because of buoyancy.

If you prefer, the weight can still be Mg. (In this case, g is the centripetal acceleration due to the rotation of the Earth.) There is no freefall acceleration! Perhaps, Bartlett could consider this as apparent weight. (If I am the referee for this paper, that will be my recommendation!)

Best regards,
Alphonsus