[Phys-l] Finishing up with that Dead Horse.

The flexing of the aquarium bottom can be used to quantify the 'weight' of an object placed on the bottom. This procedure can be used whether the aquarium is filled to the brim with water or is empty.

A lead cube will 'weigh' less if the aquarium is filled to the brim with water than if the aquarium were empty.

It will weigh less by an amount equal to the weight of the displaced fluid.

A spring scale could be (often is) used to test this weight reduction also - but something called the 'suction cup effect' might complicate things when the cube is on the bottom. I want to avoid the possibility of any such 'suction cup effect'.

Is my weight reduction hypothesis correct?

(Full to the brim - so , yes, that weight of water WAS removed from the system.