Re: [Phys-l] Finishing up with that Dead Horse.

Two major points. I think we should never, ever use the concept of "weight reduction" when talking about buoyant forces. No matter what you do to this cube, as long as it remains where it is compared to the center of the Earth, it will have the same weight because weight is the gravitational force exerted by the Earth. When we are not careful with our language, then all we do is confuse students.

Second, since you're still talking about a cube on the bottom but don't want the "complications" of a "suction effect" (bad choice of words for my taste), that means the cube is not really on the bottom. There must be water underneath it if there is to be a buoyant force. There will be no difference in the "flex" of the bottom of the aquarium unless you tether the cube to the bottom or remove all fluid between the cube and the bottom of the aquarium. I thought this was cleared up, but no? If you want to know what's happening to the bottom of the aquarium, you look at forces acting on the aquarium bottom. If you want to know what's happening to the cube, you look at forces acting on the cube. It seems you are confusing the two systems, and at the heart of the second law is choosing a system and then assigning forces accordingly.

Bill

William C. Robertson, Ph.D.