Re: [Phys-l] Textbook selection time again ...& HW Services

Robert -

I use both systems extensively. Here are the highlights of each for me:

WebAssign has an easier to use, faster, and more flexible gradebook than MP. It's easy to import and export scores from other soureces. It's much easier to extend deadlines, add extra submissions, etc. It's great for assigning straight up end-of chapter problems and/or writing quick and easy multiple choice or essay questions of your own. It used to have EOC problems for many textbooks - but this seems to be more limited as more and more texts have their own homework systems. You can either have students sign up and pay individually or register them yourself and have them bill your institution.

On the downside, the cost for using WebAssign depends on the text you use, and varies widely, but you can arrange a "package" through text publishers, which helps some. Also somewhat annoying is that Webassign's standard is most often to grade any answer within 1% of the expected answer as correct. This sometimes means students have to answer problems which have data given with 2 sig figs with a 3 sig fig answer. This creates confusion. I have been very unimpressed with the "Enhanced" content from WebAssign, at least for the texts I've used (Serway and Walker).

MP has, in addition to the end of chapter problems, GREAT Skill Builder and other extra, very rich problems. They're not just "plug and chug" - they include things like ranking tasks and problems where you have to drag and drop vectors. I don't think it's possible to get these problems correct without really understanding some relationships--though they take more time than typical problems. These problems have richer hints and built-in feedback...feedback on EOC problems is comparable to WebAssign.

In MP students HAVE to buy access through them and HAVE to register themselves for your course. (You can't set the roster.) You can set grading VERY flexiblity - taking points away for getting hints (or not), and setting deadlines that are "soft"; credit starts diminishing at the deadline but takes 24 hours to go away entirely.

MP tracks the average time taken and difficulty rating for each problem (including EOC problems) both nationally and for your class. This makes putting together homework assignments of a proper length and difficulty much easier. You can also very easily see distributions of how much time your student actually are spending, and where they're spending their time.

MP's gradebook is very slow with larger classes/many assignments, but does a nice job of highlighting students who didn't finish assignments and are struggling. It's easy to export, but difficult to import scores.

I use MP for my classes where I'm trying to push deeper understanding. In cases where the curriculum requires I fly through lots of topics, I use WebAssign. If you have other questions about specific areas I didn't touch on, let me know.

Mike Meyer
Lecturer/Lab Coordinator
Michigan Tech Univ.
mrmeyer@mtu.edu