From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Joseph Bellina
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:58 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] taxes (was SOLAR , NUCLEAR ENERGY etc.)

I've stayed away from this just because of its complexity, but I do
want to comment on the renter issue, but not with regard to taxes.

I think we all agree that there are substantial energy savings to
be made in home heating and cooling by improving insulation.
However, it is not clear how to do that in a rental situation when
the renter is paying for the heating and cooling. Improving
insulation is a capitol improvement that belongs to the owner, so the
renter is not inclined to do it. Installing the insulation costs
money and there is not economic benefit to the owner, so they are not
inclined to do it.

Has anyone seen a solution to this catch 22? It is especially
important in lower income housing where the homes are old and very
poorly insulated.

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Physics