Re: [Phys-l] taxes (was SOLAR , NUCLEAR ENERGY etc.)

One minor point on something John M. wrote:

Then, there's property tax, people that have more expensive homes
in wealthy pay more in property taxes than those that live in poor
areas in inexpensive homes.

Oh my. "Those that live in poor areas in inexpensive homes" commonly
don't even own them so they pay NO property tax. On the other hand
they far more rent than wealthy people. Moreover, as a direct result
of not owning their homes, they haven't benefitted from the
astonishing capital gains of the last thirty years. I know that, in
my own case, the equity increase has paid my property taxes (which
are insanely low due to the effects of Prop 13 here in California)
many times over. So once again, sorry, no cigar.

While perhaps technically correct, in the sense that the landlord's (or their designate holder of the property mortgage)signature is the name on the check sent to the property tax authority. As a practical matter the renters are paying the tax, since it is usually a part of the rent that they are paying. I always figured that my rent was paying the property tax when I rented.