Re: [Phys-l] taxes (was SOLAR , NUCLEAR ENERGY etc.)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rauber, Joel" <Joel.Rauber@SDSTATE.EDU>

While perhaps technically correct, in the sense that the landlord's (or their designate holder of the property mortgage)signature is the name on the check sent to the property tax authority. As a practical matter the renters are paying the tax, since it is usually a part of the rent that they are paying. I always figured that my rent was paying the property tax when I rented.

However...(lots of those in these discussions) what's the property tax for a typical apartment--multi-family buildings. Bet it is not the $2-5000 that the home owners are paying--and for the same services. That's part of the problem with taxes...depending on where you are standing you are either getting lots of services for almost no money (damn sales taxes though--but wait, earned income credit can get some of that back) or else you are paying hundreds of times what the guy a few blocks away is paying--all for the same set of government services.

Consider where we are (College or University)...a grounds keeper maybe making $20,000, a full professor, maybe $100,000, and the football coach at $2,000,000. Consider how much each pays in and what each gets out--in government services. Now fold in you political, sociological, religious, economic, ethical, whatever viewpoints and we will never agree on what is fair and equitable.

The real question (and again one on which there will be no consensus) is what is the proper role of government? How much should it do and control. The American experience has been one of moving that line back and forth constantly, but always within somewhat reasonable barriers--at both ends. Is that changing? Has it changed drastically in the last decade?

Life is not fair, not meant to be fair, and taxes are a prime example of this! ;-)

Rick