Re: [Phys-l] Is Global Warming really a one-sided point of, view ora scientif...

LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
OK, using that interpretation, I took the Jan-December average for the
last block of data (2001-2008) and transferred the data to Excel for a
linear regression - it came out to -0.2 degrees Celsius per year.

Bob, that can't possibly be right. That would imply a change of roughly -1.8 C in the last 9 years, which would be huge and is over twice the magnitude of the warming of the 20th century (0.8 C).

When I use the NASA GISS data, I get the following for yearly averages:

1998 57
1998 33
2000 33
2001 48
2002 56
2003 55
2004 49
2005 62
2006 54
2007 57
2008 44

On this data I get a linear regression slope of +1.0/yr, although the correlation is small (R^2=0.13).

In other words, the slope is positive, and about 0.01 C/yr, or roughly 0.1 C/decade. Not shabby, and even if you interpret this as a plateau, it is nothing earlier, which I showed earlier[2]. Such plateau's have happened about three times in the last 35 years, and after all of them warming resumed.

(Regressing yearly averages hides some information, and so I prefer to use the 5-yr[2] or 10-yr moving monthly average.)

The data simply does not dispute the fact that CO2 is a very strong greenhouse gas and warms the planet, though other factors (La Nina, sunspots, volcanoes) can temporarily shield such temperature advances.

David

[2] http://davidappell.blogspot.com/2008/11/has-global-warming-stopped.html

--
David Appell, freelance science journalist
e: appell@nasw.org