Re: [Phys-l] Is Global Warming really a one-sided point of, view ora scientif...

LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
David - I am unfamiliar with the reporting method in the GISS data.
Obviously the numbers are not temperature per se. If they are
temperature changes or possibly deviations from a baseline - perhaps you
could illuminate so I don't have to dig through references. The data
seem at odds with what I have been finding, but I'm sure it's simply
because I don't have a key to the GISS formatting.

Bob, the NASA GISS numbers in http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata/GLB.Ts+dSST.txt
are the deviations of the average surface global temperature, in deg C multiplied by 100, from the baseline, arbitrarily chosen to be 1951-1980.

Thus Feb 2009's value of "41" means that that month's globally average surface temperature was 0.41 C above the 1951-1980 average. (The latter average is roughly 14 C, but not exactly.)

The other prominent surface temperature time series is put out by the Hadley Centre in the UK, and can be found at http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/hadcrut3vgl.txt .

These two pretty much track one another (i.e. their trends are about the same), though for reasons I don't understand GISS is usually the higher of the two, and calculated to only 2 significant digits instead of 3.

Then there are the two monthly satellite measurements of the mid-troposphere temperatures:

UAH (Univ of Alabama at Huntsville): http://vortex.nsstc.uah.edu/data/msu/t2lt/uahncdc.lt

RSS (Remote Sensing Systems): http://www.remss.com/data/msu/monthly_time_series/RSS_Monthly_MSU_AMSU_Channel_TLT_Anomalies_Land_and_Ocean_v03_2.txt

David

--
David Appell, freelance science journalist
e: appell@nasw.org