Re: [Phys-l] Students' READING abilities

At 12:42 -0500 02/23/2009, Edmiston, Mike wrote:

You can't do this if students refuse to do anything outside of class,
because in-class time is way too short for accomplishing the goals of
the course. It goes back to something I've said before: I expect
students to read assignments outside of class. I expect students to do
experiments outside of class. I expect students to write outside of
class. I expect students to solve problems outside of class. I expect
students to come to office hours if they have questions. But today's
students think I am totally unreasonable. If I can't teach them what
they need to know about physics within the contraints of five 50-minute
class periods a week for 30 weeks, then I must be a lousy teacher. They
don't have any more time to spend on physics than class time. Since
they have become accustomed to teachers that don't demand out-of-class
work, they can't read, they can't write, they can't solve problems...
because they don't have any practice doing these things. And they fill
their out-of-class hours with sports, TV, socializing, etc. and think it
is an unreasonable intrusion if I want them to spend some of that time
doing physics.

I would think that some variant of the "Just in Time" teaching scheme might be useful here. In this case, they need to complete a reading assignment and a short quiz on it on line, which must be submitted by some specified time before the class (Lab?) starts. If they fail to submit the lab quiz, they are not admitted to the lab (how they make up the lab--or not--is a matter for individual preference, or time available). It becomes quickly obvious that if they expect to pass the course, they'd better do the reading. Then you look at their quiz results and get an idea of where their heads are, and construct your class or lab accordingly.

The JIT folks have written a book on it. Evelyn Patterson is one of the authors, so you should be able to find it with Google, unless someone on the list has the reference at hand and will provide it.

I don't think these student habits are anything new. I used to play the same games when I was an undergrad over 50 years ago. A lot of my classmates (but certainly not all) did the same thing.

Of course one of the problems is not that they don't know how to read for comprehension, but they don't know how to read a textbook, and in particular a science textbook, since they have never been taught how to do that. All of their formal reading experience has involved reading literature, or perhaps an occasional non-fiction work, but seldom anything of a scientific origin, so they are clueless that reading a textbook is a very different proposition from reading a novel. And since it is very unlikely that they have ever run across a teacher who knew how to read a textbook, they have no idea that there is any difference between a novel and a textbook.

If the book has lots of equations in it they have no idea how to deal with them, but if there are no equations, they cannot translate a descriptive passage into something that can be expressed mathematically.

Maybe at some point in the students' HS program they need to take a course (for a semester?) on reading science textbooks. I'd rather see them do that than take a watered-down intro to physical science class. Knowing how to read a textbook can allow them to easily make up any lost time on their own, and even if they never take another science class, they will at least know that there is a difference between a textbook and a novel.

Hugh
--
Hugh Haskell
mailto: hugh@ieer.org

So-called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer. Don't let them get away with it!!

Chip Giller, Founder, Grist.org