From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Brian Whatcott [betwys1@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 26, 2009 4:36 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] induced electric field

I wonder if Bob and Phillip are now reconciled to the beautifully drawn plots from Bob for the field conditions specified by David?

Brian W

LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
/snip/
I have not assumed that the E field is tangential to the loop. I am only assuming that because no boundaries are stated that no matter where I put the loop the integral (EMF) must be the same because nothing distinguishes one postion of the loop from another./snip/

If a boundary is specified then the symmetry is broken and I agree with you and JD that the field at any point can be easily argued to be unique and can probably be found by some clever argument.

Bob at PC

From: Philip Keller [PKeller@holmdelschools.org

/snip/ suppose you cannot assume that the field has the same magnitude at all points on the loop -- say because it is that second loop you and I were both thinking of, near but not touching the first. At the point where the second loop is nearest the first, the electric field is pointing "the wrong way" - not in the direction of the current. /snip/the problem shows up regularly on the EM section of the AP physics C test but I don't recall symmetry or boundary conditions ever being mentioned.