Re: [Phys-l] induced electric field

On 11/17/2009 11:08 AM, Philip Keller wrote:
Thank you for the reply -- I will need to read this all more slowly.
But for now, I hope this is an easy question. What happens to an
isolated point charge in a region in space with a uniformly
increasing uniform mag field? Does it experience a force?

Sure.

If so, in what direction?

In the same direction as the E field. F = q E.
For ordinary not-too-weird-shaped regions, the
field will be azimuthal, i.e. in the dθ direction.

Does it matter where I release it?

Sure. The E field is a strong function of position.

The B field is uniform, and dB/dt is uniform, but
that does not mean that the E field is uniform.
It means the curl of E is uniform.

Uniform curl E is not the same as uniform E.

As usual, I can barely bear to express this in
terms of the vector cross product. The bivector
wedge product makes things very much easier and
nicer.