[Phys-l] Structure of Matter

I have returned to Uni after 10 yrs and am taking structure of matter and I am having a real problem with visualisation of lattices, reciprocal lattices..and so on and so forth. What's worse is the course textbook is German although the course is in English. Terms seem to be getting lost in translation, which does not help. Can anyone reccomend a book with plenty of pictures or even a review in one of the journals, that is consistant with terms and which their students have found useful.

Thanks
Alex