Re: [Phys-l] induced electric field

On 11/24/2009 10:45 AM, Carl Mungan wrote:

I think this is how one could proceed, but please correct me: We can
obtain E-vector as 1/4*pi multiplied by a "Helmholtz" (in this case a
"Biot-Savart") type integral of R-vector cross-producted with (c
k-hat) divided by the cube of the magnitude of R-vector.

Close.

Since this is a two-dimensional problem, you need
magnitude _squared_ in the denominator of the
integrand.

I call this the two-dimensional Biot-Savart integral
or equivalently the flatland Biot-Savart integral.
It's the same idea as the usual Biot-Savart, although
(a) we are in two dimensions instead of three, and
(b) in this case the integrand tells us the E-field
associated with one element of d(flux)/d(t). The
magnitude of this falls off like 1/R, as you know
from experience with the external field of a long
thin solenoid ... which is a check on what I said
in the previous paragraph.

If you're in a hurry and/or you're not a calculus
whiz, Macsyma will carry out the integrations for
you.

Bizarre note: In the free version, called Maxima,
it miserably fails to do the definite integrals.
It goes off into a loop using 100% CPU forever.
However ... it instantly evaluates the indefinite
integrals! How strange is that? Just evaluate
the indefinite integral at +L/2 and -L/2 and
you're all set.

Also FWIW: If I never see another cross product
that will be fine with me. You can solve this
problem in flatland (where there are no cross
products) just fine. The E-field in the plane
can be calculated as a function of the flux
-- or d(flux)/d(t) -- in the plane. In the
numerator of integrand you need a Rot(90) operator
that rotates the R vector 90 degrees in the
plane.

I get tired of "famous experts" telling me there
is "no" electrodynamics in flatland, because you
"need" a cross product. I say electrodynamics
works fine in flatland, and you do not need a
cross product. Not ever. Really not. The is
all easy and elegant in terms of Clifford algebra,
but you can get by without even that.

Help stamp out cross products.