Re: [Phys-l] refraction lab

Brian W. mentioned that my J Chem Ed article is not available on-line
without paying for it. I believe this is correct. But J Chem Ed is
readily found in many libraries, especially libraries at colleges that
have a chemistry program. Printed copies are also available through
inter-library loan procedures.

I believe it would be contrary to the copyright agreement for me to post
the paper. However, the directions for making hollow glass prisms were
freely distributed for many years prior to publishing the article, so I
would say these directions are essentially public domain. They have
also been on my webpage for many years, but that location is not widely
publicized. Here is the link...

www.bluffton.edu/~edmistonm/HollowPrism2.pdf

I recommend microscope slides because they are ubiquitous, good-quality
glass, the correct size, easily scored and broken as required. I
usually use 5-minute epoxy although 30-minute epoxy is stronger and more
chemical resistant. A regular wheeled glass cutter works, but a diamond
scribe is superior.

I notice that some websites have actually posted my instructions. These
instructions have also found their way into some science-fair programs.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817