order of $100. But this would be just the thing for liquids
like e.g. glycerine which I notice hasn't got a mention yet.

Brian W

At 11:56 AM 4/28/2008, you wrote:
I use a plastic cube container from AMAC Plastic products
Link: http://www.amacbox.com/products/flattop/index.html
I use the 4 inch cubes and have filled it with various liquids. The
standard lab experiment uses distilled water and a HeNe laser. The
boxes were cheap and are usually found at crafts stores (like Ben
Franklin Crafts here in the Valley) for displaying small projects. The
lids prevent all but the most egregious spills. We have used the same
boxes for over ten years and they are somewhat scratch resistant.

THO

Thomas O'Neill
Physics
Shenandoah Valley Governor's School

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Anthony
Lapinski
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:43 AM
To: tap-l@lists.ncsu.edu; phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Subject: [Phys-l] refraction lab

Anyone do the refraction lab by filing a clear semicircular dish with
water? I am wondering if there are other clear liquids that could be
used
which have a refractive index much different than water.

rubbing alcohol
sugar water
salt water
carbonated soft drink

I thought about Karo syrup or liquid soap, but cleanup might be an issue
and I didn't want to scratch the dish. Any ideas?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!